Sunday, March 1, 2009

Stovetop Mexican Lasagna


This meal is fun and easy to make, and is very versatile. I found it on the Pillsbury website. You can combine any meat and additional veggies that you want. You could also use beans instead of meat. I used chicken, corn, and chiles in mine. While cooking, the tortillas fluff up creating soft chewy layers! Next time you are craving Mexican food, this is this recipe to try.
Stovetop Mexican Lasagna
1 tbsp butter or oil
1/3 cup chopped onions
1 can (10 oz) red enchilada sauce
2 tsp ground cumin
1 can (12.5 oz) chunk chicken breast, drained
1 cup corn
4 flour tortillas, burrito size
2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 can chopped green chiles

Directions:
In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Reserve 1/4 cup enchilada sauce; add remaining sauce to onion. Stir in cumin, corn, and chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered 5 minutes.

Lightly grease 10-inch skillet with butter or cooking spray; heat over low heat. Place 1 tortilla in skillet; top evenly with 1 cup cheese and second tortilla. Spread chicken mixture over second tortilla; top with third tortilla. Sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese; top with green chiles. Place fourth tortilla over chiles; spread reserved 1/4 cup enchilada sauce over top.

Cover skillet; cook over low heat 18 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 4 wedges; serve topped with sour cream if desired.

Get daily e-mail updates from Megan's Munchies. Subscribe here!

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy moly - this looks awesome!
thanks!

Anonymous said...

very cool method. i love that you make this all right on the stovetop. i'm so hungry right now!

Mom on the Run said...

What a great recipe find! This is very family friendly.

Emily said...

looks delish and so easy! thanks, megan!

Heather said...

looks quick, delicious and easy - my idea of a week night meal! great post :)

Reeni said...

That looks really good! I love that it's stovetop, and so quick and easy.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

¡OlĂ©!

Barbara Bakes said...

This is the perfect recipe for those nights when you just need to make something from the pantry!

Wandering Coyote said...

Excellent - another recipe I have to bookmark! This looks great.

Bunny said...

I love meals like this Megan !! I'm bookmarking this!!

AK Mom said...

This looks really good, Megan. I love that you can cook it on the stove top.

HangryPants said...

Look at all that cheesy sauce! Delicious.

Leslie M. said...

Hi Megan I would make this with with a veggie chicken called naked Quorn Cutlets. They are really "chicken-like" and I bet they would be good in this recipe!

Looks GREAT!
Leslie
LeslieVeg@msn.com
http://leslielovesveggies.blogspot.com/

Gloria Chadwick said...

This is beautiful! It almost looks like a stuffed pizza. Love the Tex-Mex style. :)

Mimi said...

Wow, I have to try this! Mmmm, maybe I'm just missing Texas, but I've been having wicked Mexican cravings.

Elyse said...

Mexican and lasagna sound so good together. Definitely a match made in heaven. And juding from the pictures, the dish didn't disappoint. It looks fabulous. Can't wait to try this one during the week!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

mexican lasagna? wooo... it looks amazingly delicious! :D

Jennifer said...

Oh my....you certianly know how to make someone want to run to the kitchen and start cooking.

CookingCourtney said...

that looks so good, i love mexican food!!

Thinspired said...

I have seriously had to avoid your site lately because all the photos were making me crave all the scrumptious food! This looks like an awesome recipe and pretty easy, too!

Tangled Noodle said...

A fun, quick dinner with some of my favorite flavors!

stephchows said...

OK mmmmmmmmmm totally fun twist on a comfort food staple :D

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Now that's a plate of stick-to-your-ribs goodness!

+Jessie

Maria said...

Mexican lasagna, sounds terrific!

Lori said...

I love this kind of thing. Wonder if I could make my own enchilada sauce. I know they won't have it here. I brought some tortillas in my suitcase back from the States though. :)

Anonymous said...

That looks so good. I wish it was vegan!
We missed you yesterday!

Anonymous said...

YUMMMM!!! That would be good with beans!

The Purple Carrot said...

Great looking recipe!! Thanks for sharing : )

Spiceaholic said...

Yum, this looks great! Glad to have found your blog!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

i totally thought that was a slice of pizza!

Not Another Omnivore said...

That looks fabulous!

NAOmni

Tyler said...

lasagna with tortillas!?! cool!! this looks really easy and delicious!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Scrumptious! That dish looks really enjoyable!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

This looks great! I love cooking mexican food and am always looking for easy recipes. Thanks for sharing!

Tina Butler said...

That looks really good. I love Mexican.