Friday, February 27, 2009

Black Bean and Chicken Pizza

My husband has been craving pizza, so I made him this fun pizza that was a Pillsbury Bake-off winner. I substituted black beans for the red beans, and omitted the cilantro because my husband isn't a fan. The pizza was a hit and there are enough leftovers for another meal. He topped it with some chipotle corn salsa! This pizza was SO easy to make and took no time at all.

Black Bean and Chicken Pizza
adapated from Pillsbury Bake-off recipe
1 can (13.8 oz) refrigerated pizza crust
3/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
1 tsp lime juice
1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chilies, drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained
1 cup cooked shredded chicken
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
2 tblsp chopped fresh cilantro


DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 425°F.
Lightly grease 14-inch pizza pan with shortening or cooking spray.
Unroll dough; place in pan.
Starting at center, press out dough to edge of pan.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or just until crust begins to brown around edge.

Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix mayonnaise, lime juice and chiles.

Gently spread mayonnaise mixture over partially baked crust.
Top with beans, chicken and cheese.
Bake 10 to 14 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown.
Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.

Get daily e-mail updates from Megan's Munchies. Subscribe here!

29 comments:

Zesty Cook said...

Meg - this looks very interesting and I would like to try a slice. I don't mind cold pizza

Not Another Omnivore said...

One of my favorite restaurants in Nashville makes a killer black bean pizza. Actually two of my favorite restaurants there do. If you're ever in the area let me know, I'll point you in the right directions.

NAOmni

Anonymous said...

so great! Now why don't mexican restaurants serve this??

Bunny said...

Now this is creative, I'd really like this because of the black beans and chicken with lots and lots of mozzarella!

Maria said...

My husband is ALWAYS craving pizza! I will have to try this version to mix things up! It looks great!

Anonymous said...

OH YUM!! I may have to try this!

Anonymous said...

I love the looks of this pizza! I've never tried one with beans before, but I can imagine it'd be very tasty! I bet it would taste great with that corn salsa, too. YUM!

Have a great weekend!

Reeni said...

I've never had beans on a pizza! It looks really good!!

Emily said...

Love the idea of black beans on pizza (black beans are my fave)!

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

beans on a pizza- i never would have thought of that

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Anonymous said...

Oh yes to beans on pizza!!!

C.G. the Foodie said...

That pizza looks delish! I am a bean fan. Adding this to the list of must-trys

Wandering Coyote said...

Oh, this looks totally wonderful! What a great idea! I'll have to bookmark.

*Kimmie* said...

Looks amazing! I love black beans!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's an original pizza! I bet it tastes as good as it looks!

Cheers,

Rosa

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

this looks so good! never thought adding beans as pizza topping. You just keep surprising me Meg!

Anonymous said...

I love adding beans on pizza! Extra protein...yummy.

Sophia Lee said...

wow, thank you! I've been looking for black bean recipes, and this is great! I'm gonna pocket it for future use...

Bob said...

Looks good to me and I don't even really like beans! :)

Heather said...

mmmm. i love doing this kind of pizza. such a fun twist :)

Dewi said...

This unique pizza, and looks so delicious Meg.
Cheers,
Elra

Gloria Chadwick said...

Awesome! I love black beans and chicken together, and on a pizza -- even better. :)
Can I share your recipe at my Fiesta blog event?

Susan @ SGCC said...

What a great idea for a pizza! It looks really delicious! So creative!

Anonymous said...

What a great combo, gotta give this a try. My dad doesn't like cilantro either, what's wrong with these guys?

Mary H. said...

That sounds fantastic!! My kids love anything with black beans on it!

Unknown said...

Meg, My husband would love this! By the way could you post your recipe for Pumpkin Angel Food cake. I would love to try that. I will repost it on my blog after I make it.
Fondly, DCRose

CookingCourtney said...

im not a fan of beans at all but that looks good, yum.

Anonymous said...

Hmm this one looks like something I could make for my boyfriend. He LOVES pizza and I really want to cook for him more but he requires SO much food. I never saw refrigerated pizza crust before, I need to look for it!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

After seeing this I can't wait to put beans in my next pizza!