Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Doritos Chicken/ The Foods and Flavors of San Antonio


Thanks to Gloria Chadwick and Pelican Publishing, I had the pleasure of receiving a review copy of Gloria's newest cookbook, The Foods and Flavors of San Antonio. As a fellow Texan, and a lover of San Antonio, I knew I would love the focus on Tex-Mex cuisine. This cookbook is amazing. It is full of a variety of chilis, casseroles, enchiladas, coffee drinks, tex-mex breakfast dishes, and more! I chose to make the Doritos Chicken, and it turned out fabulous. You can't go wrong with a dish that uses Doritos as a base. The cheesy Doritos blend perfectly with the chicken, peppers, onions, and tomatoes. It is all topped off with lots of melted cheese.
Doritos Chicken

1 12 oz package Doritos, crushed

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped

1 medium onion, chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

1 15 0z. can Mexican stewed tomatoes

1/2 cup picante sauce
salt and black pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese


Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 13 x 9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle the crushed chips evenly over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes and picante sauce. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Pour the mixture over the crushed chips. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 40 minutes or until bubbly.


Recipe and book cover with permission of Pelican Press.

Get daily e-mail updates from Megan's Munchies. Subscribe here!

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a fan of tex-mex cuisine as well. A lot of flavor going on here and I'm going to look for a copy of this book!

Anonymous said...

I used to love doritos...I wish they made a healthy vegan version.

Meghann said...

THis reminds me of something my ex-boyfriend's mom used to make and he loved. Except his was with fritos instead of doritos.

Wandering Coyote said...

OMG - do you have any idea how difficult it is for me to resist Doritos???? ;)

Gloria Chadwick said...

Meg, Thanks so much for reviewing my new cookbook. The Doritos Chicken looks great; I'm glad you liked it. Now I totally want this for dinner. :)

Reeni said...

This looks so good!!! I have to make this! YUM!!!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Megan, it's impossible to resist los doritos!! The dish looks so vibrant..a Tex-Mex delish :-)

Cheers,
Gera

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I could eat a whole big bag of doritos myself. That is why I never buy them. This looks great.

Unknown said...

hehe, doritos :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... interesting recipe!

Anonymous said...

wow - that is seriously one crazy combination, however I have heard of using blue corn tortilla chips for breading.

Barbara Bakes said...

Sounds like yummy nachos on steroids!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

a cute name for a yummy dish! :D

Anonymous said...

The Doritos chicken looks excellent - love all the flavors!

Anonymous said...

Haha, I love that there is a recipe with Doritos as a base. It sounds like a delicious book! And the chicken you made looks fantastic :o)

Anonymous said...

That dish sounds heavenly! I have to agree - anything with doritos - I'm in! My uncle makes a Dorito salad and it's quite heavenly!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I think I could eat an entire chicken cooked like this. What a great combination. Doritos - Whoulda thunk?

Krista said...

Oh my gosh that recipe sounds fabulous!! What a creative idea to use Doritos!

TheRavenousMommy said...

Dorito's Chicken! Sounds awesome...can't wait to try this one out.

Anonymous said...

I just went to San Antonio a couple weeks ago and tried Boudro's, a Texan bistro. It was pretty awesome but I found the food a bit too overseasoned. I really enjoy the Tex Mex flare of San Antonio though!

Jennifer said...

Doritos-sold!! Let's all make it and all use a different flavor.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

OMG, I love Tex-Mex food! That Doritos dish looks extremely scrumptious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

hey- ill eat a peice of dirt if it comes with doritos.

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Not Another Omnivore said...

I will be very excited if you succeed in making those cookies vegan!

NAOmni

Maria said...

Doritos for dinner, NICE!

Anonymous said...

I bet it's crunchy!

The Blonde Duck said...

I need to buy this cookbook...

The Fat Dietitian said...

That looks delicious... definitely going on my "to try" list!

Abby said...

That's soooo hot! ;)

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds so intriguing. Great way to get your kids to try.. I love the sound of it!

Leslie said...

OMG..I never would have thought to use Doritos. YUM

Nanduwsiu said...

I could eat a whole big bag of doritos myself. That is why I never buy them. This looks great.