Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Brown Rice Pudding with Maple Syrup


I have always loved rice pudding, but was wondering how I could make it dairy free so that I could enjoy it. I found this recipe at Chooseveg.com. It was so easy to make and the result was a creamy, sweet treat. I love how the raisins plump up in this pudding. I used cinnamon maple syrup for some extra spice. If you are a rice pudding fan, I definitely suggest giving this easy to make recipe a try!

Brown Rice Pudding

1½ cups fortified vanilla soymilk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups cooked brown rice
¼ cup maple syrup
1/3 cup raisins
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk milk and cornstarch together in a medium saucepan.

Add cooked rice, maple syrup, raisins, and cinnamon.

Simmer over medium heat 3 minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Serve warm or cold.

(Recipe from Healthy Eating for Life to Prevent and Treat Cancer by Vesanto Melina, M.S., R.D.)

Get daily e-mail updates from Megan's Munchies. Subscribe here!

24 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Mmm, comforting!!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

well deserved MUM MUM~~~~ it's baby food for girls like me! :D

Wandering Coyote said...

I love rice pudding, too!

Jennifer said...

Megan-I am not a rice pudding person however,I applaud your really healthy approach and great ingredients. you know what? I have not even tried rice pudding in gosh, 20 years, time to try again.

Gloria Chadwick said...

I love rice pudding. This looks really good. :)

Zesty Cook said...

This looks amazing!!

Not Another Omnivore said...

A lot of people I know don't like stuff like this, always claiming it's like swallowing snot. Sorry for the gross terminology. But I totally disagree! I think the pudding looks amazing!

NAOmni

Anonymous said...

Ooh, yum! Rice pudding is one of my favorite things... my dad always makes a different kind! I'll forward this one along to him :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, totally yum!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I love brown rice pudding =)

priscilla joy said...

Yum, this looks sooo good. I love the maply syrup addition in it. mmm.

Unknown said...

i've been meaning to make rice pudding healthier :)

Abby said...

what a very healthy pudding! perfect before a workout to give you a boost of carbs = energy! ;)

Tangled Noodle said...

I love rice and I love pudding - this is a total win-win for me!

Judy Burgoyne said...

This might be something to try with our picky kid!

Maria said...

Very comforting dessert!! And brown rice is my favorite!!

Shelby said...

Looks Delish Megan! I love how creamy it is!

Anonymous said...

THIS is just the recipe I have been looking for!

stephchows said...

I love rice pudding and my mom always made it amazingly... but I've never made it myself! I need to get on that :)

Reeni said...

This looks scrumptious!! I wish I had some right now to comfort me, it's snowing!

Lori said...

Mmmm...I love rice pudding. What a great recipe! I definitely have to try this. Sounds like a very healthy twist that you can feel good about eating.

FashionHunter said...

I love rice pudding too...it's my favorite treat. I'll have to try this recipe!

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy! I haven't had rice pudding since I was a kid, but your version looks much healthier.