Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Healthier Way to Sweeten and Flavor Drinks and Food!

http://steviasmart.com/stclfl.html
In my quest to eliminate artificial sugars from my diet, I tried the agave nectar and really enjoyed the flavor it added to my oatmeal, coffee, and recipes. However, I really wanted to find a no calorie sweetener. I found my answer on the shelf of one of my local grocery stores...Sweet Leaf Stevia Clear. This no calorie sweetener comes in a medicine dropper bottle and you can get regular stevia or choose from a variety of flavors including vanilla cream, cinnamon, english toffee, chocolate raspberry, and peppermint. I tried powdered/granule stevia in the past and did not like it, so I was hesitant when I first used the drops. The first bottle I bought was the english toffee flavor. I added it to my coffee and within one sip I was in toffee heaven. How could a few drops of liquid make coffee taste so creamy and delicious? That was Friday. Since then I have purchased the vanilla creme flavor, which was equally as yummy! I have tried them both in oatmeal and I can't rave enough!!! My mom tried the english toffee in her Dunkin Donut's coffee this morning, and she had to have a second cup she loved it so much. I will definitely have to try the other flavors. Hhmmm...maybe peanut butter oatmeal with the grape flavor!

6 comments:

Sandra Gordon said...

My husband is diabetic so I am always interested in alternatives to sugar. But I don't think I've ever heard of stevia. Just what is it? Plant-based? I'll have to look for this on the grocery shelf. Thanks for the good word!

Hal B said...

Stevia is wonderful. For those looking for it, it's nearly always found in the herbal section. Due to strange & outdated govn't regulations, it can't be marketed as a sugar substitute.

Anonymous said...

I've always been intrigued by the stevia droppers.. now I'll definitely have to give them a try!

casey said...

I really like the flavored liquid Stevia as well. I use them to flavor plain yogurt and Ive used the Vanilla Creme in my french toast batter. My daughter likes to use the Chocolate flavor in her milk. Thanks for the great info!

Megan said...

I've been looking for a substitute for my flavored syrup that I use in my coffee. It's all sugar and this sounds really good! I came by because I'm a fellow Megan just to say hi!!!

Anonymous said...

Despite already overspending on my weekly budget, I think this post maybe just prompted me to stop by the store on the way home in search of this. Like you, I did not like granulated stevia at all and I have not tried anything else since then.

sweets&sweats.wordpress.com