Thursday, August 28, 2008

Oatmeal With A Twist

My favorite food is oatmeal, and I eat it everyday! I will never get tired of it! I love to experiment with various mix-ins. The following are some yummy ideas that you can try. Adjust amounts of ingredients to your personal liking, and add your sweetener and or extra spices of choice if necessary. Most mix-ins should be added after cooking! I have tried some of the mix-ins and others are on my list to taste test. Do you have any other ideas for interesting mix-ins?

Waffle Cone Sundae: Mix in 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite ice cream and crushed waffle cone
Banana Pudding: Mix in mashed bananas and crushed nilla wafers
Smores: Mix in crushed graham crackers, marshmallows, chocolate chips
Jelly Donut: Mix in jelly flavor of choice with powdered sugar sprinkled on top
Eggnog: Prepare with eggnog or soy version of eggnog instead of milk
Creme Brulee: Mix in Jello Pudding Creme Brulee flavored Rice Pudding
Pudding Snack: Mix in your favorite flavor of Jello Pudding Snack
Birthday Party: Mix in your favorite sprinkles
Sinful Birthday Party: Mix in Sprinkles and a spoonful of your favorite icing
Clif z-bar: Mix in chunks of your favorite clif z-bar (Honey Graham works best)
Creamy Delight: Mix in your favorite flavor coffee creamer (the holiday flavors rock!)
German Chocolate Cake: Mix in chocolate chips, coconut, and a little caramel
Gingersnap: Mix in crushed up gingersnap cookies
Cookies and Cream: Mix in crushed Oreos



9 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I can't go more than ONE day without oatmeal; and I can never eat oatmeal without a banana added to it :0) Love your oatmeal flavor combinations!! Right now, I'm hooked on the banana/pumpkin-seed-butter oatmeal combination.

Meg said...

veggiegirl- Pumpkin seed butter sounds delicious! Where do you get it?

HangryPants said...

These are great ideas. I am so boring. I add banana or pumpkin/squash.

What about ... raisinette oatmeal. Raisins w/ chocolate?


Heather

Anonymous said...

These are awesome! I actually read about the eggnog combo recently and decided I am definitely trying it around the holidays. I can tell it's going to become a tradition ;o)

Wow, still looking at the list in awe...I will definitely be saving this for future reference!

Zesty Cook said...

Hey Meg,

I am a huge fan of oatmeal. I eat it at least 3 times a week. Most times I just add brown sugar and some blueberries or raspberries into the mix but after looking at your awesome combinations - i will be printing this list off and trying some. Very nice. Great post.

Zesty

Reeni said...

Dried cranberries and walnuts; or applesauce and cinnamon. I have never seen pumpkin seed butter either, I love pumpkin, sounds really good!

Anonymous said...

These are some great ideas!

Thanks. I am sure that my daughter and I will have fun with this one.

jenny said...

i mix in a cup of applesauce, a dash of honey, and loads of cinnamon. it works well with cream-of-wheat, too.

i've been reading all of your pumpkin recipes, and i'm sure you've tried mixing in some pumpkin, cranberries, and pumpkin pie spice. that's my fall favorite.

the oatmeal in the dining halls on campus is nasty and a congealed mess. to fix it up, i used to just add half of my cup of coffee and some sugar. it thinned it out and made it really yummy. if i was feeling in more of a tea mood, i'd mix in whatever type of tea struck my fancy.. green, chai, apple-cinnamon, lemon... it's a quick trick and makes it fantastic.

Anonymous said...

My family members every time say that I am killing my time here at net, except I
know I am getting knowledge daily by reading such good articles.


Feel free to surf to my blog post chapter 13 bankruptcy florida