Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Eggnog Ramblings

As the weather starts cooling and the Holidays approach, I have found myself dreaming of eggnog! Unfortunately, sometimes my stomach doesn't do well with dairy, so last year I found some alternatives. I tried Silk Nog, and found that it was quite pleasant. It was definitely lighter than the real thing. Lactaid also came out with a lactose free version of eggnog! This one tasted closer to the real thing, but was also a bit lighter. I am just so happy that I have alternatives, so I can enjoy the wonderful taste of a holiday treat. My favorite thing to do with eggnog is to add it to my oatmeal in place of milk! I also like to substitute it for milk when making French toast.

Here are some of my favorite eggnog recipes:



Get daily e-mail updates from Megan's Munchies. Subscribe here!

16 comments:

Reeni said...

I love eggnog! This year I had to give up milk so I will be looking for your alternatives. Eggnog cheesecake sounds really good!

Unknown said...

omg Lactaid eggnog is heaven in a glass!!!! i have turned all my milk-drinking friends onto it :) (or at least given them a hard sell...)

Adam said...

Hmmm egg free eggnog? Well isn't that kinda cool :) I'm gearing for the holidays too, and I know they'll be here in a flash.

And speaking of the chocolate drizzle comment you left me, how about chocolate drizzle on eggnog? That would make for some happy oatmeal too :)

Laurel said...

Silk's Spice is also to die for! I like it warmed up on a cold evening. Oooh...you're making me eager for winter and the holidays. :-)

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

I'm sorry, what's eggnog?

Krista said...

Mmmm...eggnog! So good!
Check out this link to Hungry Girl for a really good hot drink called "Pumpkin Creme Dream"

http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/weeklydetails.php?isid=988

It's realy good!

Wandering Coyote said...

You know what, I have real issues with Egg Nog. It's just not something I ever developed a taste for. Weird, I know, yet, there you have it!

Stephanie said...

Ooh yum! My husband and I love eggnog! We always get so excited when stores start carrying the holiday stash!

Elizabeth said...

Oh wow. It is time to start thinking about eggnog again. Yum! I'm a huge silk nog fan. We call it sog around here. :)

Shelby said...

I think this year I may actually have to try making eggnog!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Never had eggnog OR the vegan version. Ah well ;0)

Tina said...

Eggnog! Yes! I can't wait! Thanks for the highlight! :)

Lori said...

I love the eggnog flavor. Can't wait for it this year! My problem with it is that it is just too thick to drink straight. I like the lowfat versions and the silk is awesome, especially in coffee. Speaking of coffee love the eggnog latte from Starbucks. Thanks for the recipes!

Zesty Cook said...

I am a huge eggnog fan......love it

Anonymous said...

Woops, this was supposed to go here!

YESSSSSS!!!! I too LOVE Egg Nog!!!! I saw these alternatives last year, and didn't get around to trying them, I just went for the lower fat option... but these are a MUST TRY on my list this year!!!

www.krittie.wordpress.com

Sam said...

I'm not sure you can get eggnog in England which is a shame, I really want to try it!