Monday, October 27, 2008

Individual Chicken Pot Pies


Tis the season of creamy comfort food. I have never used puff pastry before, but I decided it was time. I was surprised to discover how easy it is to use. I bought some Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry and went to work to create some individual chicken pot pies. I cut a full piece of puff pastry into 6 rectangles and baked them in the oven. Meanwhile, I prepared the filling using a recipe from Campbell's (see below), and using the veggies I had already and pastry sheets instead of shells. Then I just served the filling between two pieces of puff pastry. It took no time at all to make this delicious creamy comfort food!
Individual Chicken Pot Pies
Ingredients:
1 pkg. (10 ounces) Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Shells
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or Healthy Request®)
1/2 cup milk 1 pkg. (10 ounces) frozen peas and carrots
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
Directions:
Bake, cool and remove the "tops" of the pastry shells according to the package directions.
Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it's tender.
Stir the soup, milk and peas and carrots in the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add the chicken and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling. Serve in the pastry shells.
Get daily e-mail updates from Megan's Munchies. Subscribe here!

25 comments:

Apples and Butter said...

Pot pie? Yes please. Individual pot pie where I can steal everyone else's puff pastry triangles and keep them for myself? Most definitely! Looks great!

Anonymous said...

Such a cute idea! They look great!

Stephanie said...

That looks fantastic! I love the idea of individual pies. Yum!

Zesty Cook said...

Megan - This a huge zesty weakness..... I would love one of these... May I?

zesty

Bentoist said...

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I've got some puff pastry in my freezer left from something I made last Saturday and now I know what to do with them. You've got a fantastic idea there.

By the way, I gave you a I love your blog award. Just love the creative ideas you churn out.

rubybean77 said...

What a great idea to cook the puff pastry separate of the pot pie filling. That sounds GREAT!

Anonymous said...

Chicken Pot Pie! Hahah, I always loved the crust more - I am a sucker for carbs. LOL

Shelby said...

I love how simple yet fancy this is!

Lori said...

Oooh, I haven't had chicken pot pie in forever. Looks great. I haven't had the chance to say, I love your new look!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Cute little pies! :0)

Tina said...

Mmmm... pot pies! I haven't had one in forever!

LOVE the new layout and header! :)

Anonymous said...

I am SO making that. I have been thinking chicken pot pie for a couple of weeks now!

Debbie Petras said...

I love pot pies and these look so easy to prepare. Since I just cook for two, I can cut it back and not have lots of leftovers. Thanks!

Maria said...

My husband has been asking for pot pies. I will have to try this recipe. Looks great!

Anonymous said...

You said the magic word: Pot Pie. And omg, what a brilliant thing to do with puff pastry!

+Jessie
a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

Krista said...

That's a great idea to use puff pastry like that! You go, girl! :)

Sam said...

I would love one of these right now! They look great.

Jenny said...

Yumma Yumma! I am so hungry right now and I am torturing myself by reading food blogs! Your pot pies are adorable and look fantastic!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

pot pie = comfort food!

Adam said...

Yup pot pie is the ultimate comfort food when the weather gets colder. It makes snow shoveling all the worthwhile :)

Nice new layout! I leave for a second and holy cow, I'm met with awesome colors and a cool butterfly.

Natalie Rae said...

Thanks for the inspiration- This is one to be added to my quick and easy list! I wonder if I could make it with reduced fat cresent roll dough somehow? :)

Veronica said...

Looks amazing...it's a cool rainy day today it would be the perfect dinner.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great idea! Those individual Pot Pies look really scrumptious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

That looks heavenly! Pot pie is one of my all time favorite "comfort foods"! Although - I dont cook with puff pastry because it scares me!

Wandering Coyote said...

OK, back on line after being off for several days...

I'm seeing a lot of meat pies/pot pies on foodblogs lately...I might have to give it a go.