Friday, October 3, 2008

Pumpkin White Bean Burgers

It amazes me how pumpkin is so versatile. I have been making so many pumpkin recipes lately, but I don't get tired of it, because it seems to present me with a totally different taste with every recipe I make. I was nervous about this recipe, but it did not let me down. I would have to say that this is one of my top favorite pumpkin recipes so far. These burgers were so amazing. The cinnamon, sage, and nutmeg blended in such a wonderful way with the pumpkin. I baked these in the oven. I would suggest leaving the burgers in the oven for 30 minutes, because at 20 minutes they still seemed too soft.

Pumpkin White Bean Burgers
Ingredients
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp oil
1 cup great northern beans
1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
1/3 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Directions
In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes or until soft, then set aside. In a large bowl, mash beans with a fork. Be sure to mash most of the beans until a paste forms, leaving some whole beans are okay. Add pumpkin, oats and seasonings to beans. Add onions and garlic to mixture. Mix until well combined. Allow mixture to rest in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, the mixture can be left overnight or up to 3 days. Divide bean mixture into 4 equal balls. With hands, shape mixture into patties about 3 inches around and 1/2 inch thick. To cook patties, bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, turning once. Or, place 1 tsp oil in large skillet over medium heat. Place patties into pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Turn patties and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until patties are browned on both sides.

16 comments:

Lori said...

Each time I catch up on your blog I am amazed at all the things you can do with pumpkin!! :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

You seriously have opened my eyes to the versatility of pumpkin - love it!

Reeni said...

I love bean burgers, I made some black bean ones last night. These look yummy, and I bet the northern beans meshed great with the pumpkin flavor!

We Are Not Martha said...

omg best idea ever!!! Now I can have pumpkins for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert!

Sues

Wandering Coyote said...

This is a great idea.

And, after all, pumpkin is a squash! It's the only squash I really like other than spaghetti, but yes, it's versatile as you-know-what.

I have a pumpkin bread pudding recipe I should dig out...

sj said...

I am so impressed! Well done with all these pumpkin recipes :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing idea.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Hey Miss Pumpkin Queen!

I totally thought of you when I was posting today. Haha and ow I go on your blog and you have another delicious-looking pumpkin recipe up! Keep 'em coming!

Laurie said...

Wow, those look great! You are elevating pumpkin to a whole new good group.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Absolutely impressive!

Anonymous said...

Sounds great, and I have all of the ingredients on hand!

Unknown said...

This is just so creative!

Also, as to your next post. I love the dough. Yum. :)

Anonymous said...

Pumpkin and oats sounds like a good textural combo. It really is so versatile, isn't it?

Joie de vivre said...

I never would have thought of this. I can't wait to try it now!

Anonymous said...

You really can use pumpking in anything! These look so unique and so good. another great find

Unknown said...

wow, this sounds awesome, great idea!!