Monday, October 13, 2008

Fall Hummus

I love hummus! In the Fall, I like to make pumpkin hummus to spice things up a little bit! It tastes wonderful on pita bread and chips, but it also makes a great sandwich spread. I use the following recipe, but I substitute canned garbanzo beans.

Pumpkin Hummus
link at Allrecipes.com
1 3/4 cups dry garbanzo beans
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
5 fluid ounces lemon juice
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup tahini paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
salt to taste

DIRECTIONS
Place the garbanzo beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Or, bring the beans and water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Once boiling, turn off the heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse before using.
Place the soaked garbanzo beans into a large saucepan and cover with several inches of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the garbanzo beans are tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Once cooked, refrigerate the beans and liquid until cold.
Drain the garbanzo beans, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the beans and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid into a blender, and puree until a smooth paste forms. Add the pumpkin puree, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Cover and puree again until smooth. Use additional cooking liquid as needed to achieve a smooth consistency. Season to taste with salt.
Get daily e-mail updates from Megan's Munchies. Subscribe here!

26 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ironically, I have ALWAYS wanted to try pumpkin hummus, but have had yet to do so - now I can, thanks to your fabulous recipe!! :0)

Anonymous said...

oh my... i love pumpkin in the fall and i love hummus all year round - this is definitely something i'll try to make :)

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

another pumpkin recipe, so good!!!! specially it's about hummus, my another favorite food. thanks for great ideas, Meg!

Zesty Cook said...

Megan, How did you know I was cravgin hummus.. I absolutely love it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had never considered this combination. I love pumpkin. Thanks Meg!
P.S. Adorable presentation!

Leslie said...

OHHHH.yum..I am a huge ummas fan. I have never thought to incorporate pumpkin!
Thanks for your comment on my Cherry Squares! They are VERY yummy!

RecipeGirl said...

Ooooh yum... I made a similar recipe last year. I love hummus of every kind. Apple Hummus will have to be next to try!

rubybean77 said...

I have never heard of pumpkin hummus. What a sweet idea!

Elizabeth said...

I had pumpkin ice cream this weekend. It was *so* delicious... Pumpkin hummus sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

GREAT idea to add pumpkin to hummus! wish i would have read this BEFORE i made my weekly batch-- i can't wait to try it! :D

Dee said...

Wow! What an awesome Fall dish. We love hummus at our house. I'll have to give this a try! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought of adding pumpkin to hummus! I love the way you presented it with the cute container and plate! So festive :o)

Congratulations again on winning the BSI contest! Your recipe was fantastic!

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Awesome idea, it's really amazing what you can sneak pumpkin into. I just read a crazy idea of putting pumpkin into your coffee or hot chocolate, something I'll be exploring next. Looks great!

Unknown said...

i love your serving dish... :)

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

Meg, what brand of canned pumpkin do you use?

Anonymous said...

INCREDIBLE!!
I'm loving the pumpkin-ness of your blog XD [your pumpkin pasta was great! I didn't follow your recipe completely 'cause I didn't have all the stuff--but loved it!]

Cate Bruce-Low said...

weird...i was just dreaming of this recipe when i woke up this morning. looks delish. who doesn't like hummus...or pumpkin for that matter?

miss v said...

i have been waiting for this post - i knew it had to be coming! :) i've tried it before, but never made it.

sj said...

ohhhhhhhh does that look incredible! Yum!!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Too cute pumpkin jar!

Anonymous said...

Interesting combination. I'm super curious about pumpkin and chickpeas. I'll give it a try!

Adam said...

Meg, you are now the official pumpkin queen of all things delicious. Served in a sweet jack o lantern or not, this sounds awesome :)

Lori said...

I've never thought of this combo. I bet it is so good. Thanks for sharing I can't wait to give it a try!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That hummus is original! I'm sure I'd love it!

Cheers,

Rosa

HangryPants said...

Wow, this is really excellent! You make too many great things. What do you do with all of it????

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

wow. i would have never thought to make this combo. sounds awesome.