Saturday, October 4, 2008

Pumped Up Neiman Marcus Cookies

Here is the finished product! My husband loves these cookies. I use the Neiman Marcus cookie recipe, which can be found on the store's website. I add in 1/4 cup rolled oats and handfuls of milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate M&Ms, chunks of Hershey's Special Dark, and Reese's Pieces. I love that this recipe uses instant espresso powder. I think that is what gives the cookies their unique taste. I will have to try the powder in some of my other cookie recipes.

Neiman Marcus Cookies
Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds)

2. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for another 30 seconds.

3. In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture at low speed for about 15 seconds. Stir in the espresso coffee powder and chocolate chips.

4.Using a 1 ounce scoop or a 2 tablespoon measure, drop cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Gently press down on the dough with the back of a spoon to spread out into a 2 inch circle. Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned around the edges. Bake a little longer for a crispier cookie.

Yield:
2 dozen cookies

15 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Wow, these look and sound so decadent! I use instant espresso powder in all kinds of baking, and it's a pantry staple for me now.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

SENSATIONAL!!!

Anonymous said...

That bowl was totally lickable and these cookies are totally eatable! I'll take one plate, please :o)

Apples and Butter said...

Those look great! It's a drizzly day here and I'm thinking I should do some baking. Thanks for sharing the batter picture!

Shelby said...

yum, makes me want to use my reese mini baking bits in this recipe!

Krista said...

I can see why your husband would love these cookies! They look awesome!

Reeni said...

They look so delicious, especially with all those yummy add-ins!

Anonymous said...

haha I had no idea Neiman Marcus even had cookies :)

Anonymous said...

Those are insane! I love cookies with mega chunks like that. YUM!

Adam said...

I like the espresso powder too, it gives it that certain something... maybe a kick. Might even make them breakfast food :)

Pumpkin said...

These are delish looking cookies- I've never tried the Nieman Marcus recipe before, but I may have to!

(Thanks for addin me to your blogroll! I put you on mine, too!)

Anonymous said...

Now that's what I call chocolate chip cookies with a punch! I'll try this out of of these days.

Anonymous said...

I can't which looks tastier - the batter or the finished cookies!

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

I love M&M cookies, they bring back such good memories. I've never tried the espresso powder thing, what's the point of it? Just for taste or does it add some kind of texture?

Jessie said...

I think I just drooled, those cookies look so chewy and chocolately!